Check out these – a few little known facts about RETIN-A
1) Active ingredient in Retin A breaks down in sunlight
2) Applying Retin-A to moist skin causes more peeling & skin irritation
3) Some of the most common ingredients found in skin care products aren’t compatible with retinols
Now, that we got that out of the way – it is fair to say that
if used correctly, retinol can do amazing things for your skin!
It is known as the king of anti ageing. It is also the best acne warrior known to man! (what do you think roaccutane is made of??)
Medik8 has developed a unique encapsulated, time release system for Retinol products. This not only enhances stability and freshness, but also prevents the usually high irritation caused to skin from higher concentrations of retinol by maintaining a slow, but continuous delivery of the active ingredient. The results are fast with no skin irritation.
*Note Retinol 10TR is only recommended for those skins acclimatised already to Vitamin A products. If you have never used Retinol before, then it is wise to start with minimum strength and build it up.
Tips and tricks for Retinol beginners:
- Apply it to your skin at bedtime, never use it during the day
- Never combine with products containing ingredients such as glycolic acid or benzoyl peroxide
- Always wait at least 15 to 30 minutes after cleansing your skin and applying any other skin care products before you apply retinol
What else will help your skin to tolerate retinol for anti wrinkle therapy?
- Start Retinol therapy by using the product twice a week (every third night) and slowly increase to every night over a month or two as your skin adjusts. A little scaliness and irritation is normal at first, but if the treated skin becomes really sensitive, back off and wait. Let the skin return to normal then begin treatment again. Slowly try to increase to every night as your skin adjusts.
- Apply a ‘pearl-sized‘ portion to the face. Use the same amount for the neck and/or chest.
- If your skin continues to become irritated and just won’t adjust to retinol treatment, then switch to entirely non-irritating cleansers like Medik8 Red Alert. Many cleansers are too irritating for retinol treated skin.
- Tell your skin care specialist before performing a procedure such as a chemical peel, microdermabrasion, laser or any other light treatments that you using retinol. They may ask you to stop it for a period of time before and after your treatment.
- Always protect your skin from the sun to avoid undesirable sun damage.
Why use Retinol skin care?
Scientific studies and my skin care experience has given me so many reasons to be a big fan of Retinol!
- It has proven itself to reduce, reverse, and prevent wrinkles. The younger a person starts (teens and twenties), the more benefit they receive, but it’s never too late!
- It helps lighten and prevent age spots
- It builds collagen to thicken and increase the structural strength of treated skin
- Skin just looks better and younger when they use retinol